WordPress is one of the most popular content management systems in the world, used by millions of websites. However, with great popularity comes great responsibility, and WordPress websites are a common target for hackers. Here’s a guide to fix a hacked WordPress site.
If your website is infected, it can be a frustrating and time-consuming experience. But don’t worry, there are steps you can take to fix a hacked WordPress site and secure it to prevent future attacks.
1. Change all of your passwords: If your website has been hacked, it’s likely that the hacker has gained access to your login credentials. The first step in fixing the problem is to change all of your passwords, including your WordPress login, FTP, and hosting account passwords.
2. Check for malware: Once you’ve changed your passwords, it’s important to check your website for malware. Use a malware scanner to check your website and remove any malware that is found. We recommend Sucuri’s free scanner.
3. Restore from a backup: If you have a backup of your website, restore it from the backup. This will restore your website to a previous version, which should be free of the hacker’s changes.
4. Update WordPress and plugins: Make sure that your WordPress installation and all of your plugins are up-to-date. This will ensure that any security vulnerabilities that have been discovered and fixed in newer versions are addressed on your website.
5. Monitor your website: After your website has been hacked, it’s important to keep an eye on it to ensure that it doesn’t happen again. Use a website monitoring service to notify you if any changes are made to your website, or if any suspicious activity is detected. We recommend MalCare’s monitoring and cleaning service.
These steps will help you fix a hacked WordPress website, but it’s important to remember that prevention is the best cure. To prevent future attacks, it’s important to keep your website and plugins up-to-date, use strong passwords, and monitor your website for suspicious activity.
If you find yourself in a situation where your website has been hacked, don’t hesitate to seek professional help. At BoostPress, we offer a comprehensive malware cleaning service that will help you fix your hacked website and secure it to prevent future attacks.